Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How Much Is Your Stuff Really Worth?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    How Much Is Your Stuff Really Worth?

    Okay, so for those who don't know I make my living by buying and reselling other peoples "stuff" after I buy it and make it my "stuff". I'm sort of a lower level, hillbilly, solo version of the American Pickers. I thought some people might be interested in how this works and some of the things I find humorous about doing this.

    First, I'm more likely to run into people who think their "stuff" is worth way more than it is. Not the other way around, sure I find a few who think their Great-Great-Grandfdads Civil War sword isn't worth as much as that cool Chinese made one down at the corner wholesale store. But I'm more likely to run into folks who think that Grandmas sewing machine is going put them on easy street.

    The internet is to blame for some of that. So are the upteen antiques shows on TV these days. Let's look at the internet problem first. The most common mistake I find people making is that they have an item, they look their item up on Ebay, they find that some dealer is asking $100 dollars for a similar item and *presto* their item is worth $100. Well....no, it probably isn't.

    A dealer can ASK a thousand dollar for a cow patty but they ain't never getting it (unless it looks just like Elvis). Here is what to do. Find your item and pay very close attention to condition. If yours has a dent look for one with a dent (condition is everything) search the item and THEN run the search again under advanced search and completed listings. This is going to show you what people have actually been willing to pay for "your" item. In other words it's actual current market value. Those that sold will be in green those that didn't will be in red (including that $100 one).

    I have done this with numerous people and have to watch as their dreams of a new BMW turn into a McDonald's dollar menu trip.

    Some other things I run into. Just because your item sort of looks like the one on the Antiques Roadshow does not mean that it's worth the $300,000 that one was worth. There have been copies and reproductions made of any and everything of value since people realized that there was a buck to be made by fooling people. I assume that was a long, long time ago.

    People WILL lie to you!!!!!!!!! People have lied to me so many times I don't even pay attention to it anymore. I've been lied to by doctors, lawyers, judges, preachers, cops, little old women...LITTLE OLD WOMEN are the worst!!!!! Look, just because I maybe don't look like I know much about your turn of the century pottery piece that was actually made in 1974 doesn't mean that I don't (looks can be deceiving).

    Just because it's old DOES NOT mean it's valuable. Things are valuable for one reason and one reason only. People with money are willing to spend some of that money to BUY it. If no one wants it then it is worthless, no matter how old it is.

    I can't pay retail! You aren't going to get retail. Not from me, not from anybody with any sense. If you want to rent a storefront, stock the item, and wait three years for the right buyer, yeah, maybe you'll get close to retail. But I ain't paying retail, heck I ain't even going to sell it for anything close to retail.

    Book price is about 40 to 60 percent above actual current market value, usually. That's just the way it is. Case in point. Just this week a friend called me and asked me the value of a certain rare silver dollar he had the chance to buy. Well, book price was $1000 to $1500. BUT, one had just sold on EBAY for the whooping total of $76. The seller was asking closer to the book than the market value. I told him to run away, quickly.

    I could go on, and on, and on, but.

    If anybody has any questions. OR anything they want to sell feel free......
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How Much Is Your Stuff Really Worth?

    You will be the man when I got through this old house back at home, and dig through vintage toys, vinyl, and other odds and ends!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How Much Is Your Stuff Really Worth?

    pawnlethal
    goldfor20
    gotafriend
    pawnlespaul
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How Much Is Your Stuff Really Worth?

    Sounds great!

    One thing that everybody who comes into an estate or simply a house full of stuff should know is not to throw ANYTHING away. I could not count the number of times I've heard, "I took 5 loads to the dump so there wouldn't be so much junk in the way"!

    Some of the "junk" is often worth $ and in a few cases I've actually found out that people have hauled off stuff worth more than the stuff they kept. I've known of people to haul off claw-footed bathtubs, old coal mining equipment, vintage clothing, toys, vintage furniture, the contents of old drawers is a common one. Often the little odd and ends you find in old junk drawer can be worth pretty good money.

    Old razors and kitchenwares are two more common things to get hauled off. Just a few months ago a lady told me she had thrown her late dads razors away. After a few questions I determined that she had tossed about 10-15 vintage razors away. So at an absolute minimum she had thrown $50 in the trash and maybe as much as several hundred dollars.

    Here is a touchy one. I would strongly suggest that you NOT bother donating anything to a museum or similar facility. There are reasons for this that I don't feel free to relate on an open forum, however I will tell you that there is a VERY good chance your donated item will NEVER be displayed. There are even stronger reasons for this but it's not something I want to talk about here. Before I even started doing this as a hobby which is how it started, I "LOANED" a BUNCH of my grandfathers coal mining items to just such a place. That is now a HUGE regret, today I would give at least $1000 to have that stuff back, and not to resell it. But, even though it was originally a loan it is not even in the same location anymore. It is lost to me forever and likely not displayed ANYWHERE.

    I also suggest that you NOT donate items to a retail location (like the one located near the old Foodlion store in BSG) if you want your items to be used for charity then donate them to a charitable organization, not a retail business. If you want to give your stuff away to someone who is simply selling it for a profit then call me.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How Much Is Your Stuff Really Worth?

    LOL @ the Pawn Stars thing.

    There is another thing. In nearly every case a pawn shop will give you less for your stuff and ask more for it later than most any other people in the business of buying and reselling.

    But, I love Pawn Stars
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How Much Is Your Stuff Really Worth?

    I'm not real sure what all is down there, and some of it may not be worth a dime. But I love old vintage toys (basically because they're classic and look awesome in photos I do..ex. Castle Grey Skull from He-Man.. love it)

    When the weather breaks and spring hits, I'm going to take a day and just look through and see what vintage playboys/penthouse (from 70s-80s) are in there, and old StarWars/he-man, loads of other things.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How Much Is Your Stuff Really Worth?

    80's toys are good online sellers.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •